Criteria for Selection
Candidates for the Milken Educator Award are sourced through a confidential selection process and then reviewed by blue ribbon panels appointed by state departments of education. Those most exceptional are recommended for the Award, with final approval by the Milken Family Foundation.
The criteria for the selection of outstanding elementary and secondary school teachers, principals and other education professionals as Milken Educators include all of the following:
- Exceptional educational talent as evidenced by effective and innovative instructional practices and student learning results in the classroom and school.
- Exemplary educational accomplishments and leadership beyond the classroom that provide models of excellence for the profession;
- Individuals whose contributions to education are largely unheralded yet worthy of the spotlight.
- Early- to mid-career educators who offer strong long-range potential for professional and policy leadership.
- Engaging and inspiring presence that motivates and impacts students, colleagues and the community.